Five Steps To Using A Snake
As with all of the plumbing issues described here, using a snake is easy and effective as long as it is done correctly.
Following these steps will help ensure a positive outcome:
- Push and crank the snake down the drain until it becomes difficult to continue any farther
- The point where resistance increases is most likely where encrustations, grease or other obstructions have built-up inside a pipe, meaning additional effort will be needed to help dislodge the blockage
- Keep applying pressure and cranking the snake until the resistance is minimal; a lack of resistance on the crack handle of the snake usually means the encrustation, grease or other obstruction has been removed
- Crank the snake in the opposite direction to remove it from the drain and clean off any debris clinging to the tool
- Flush out the drain with water to ensure whatever was causing the blockage has been removed and the clogging problem addressed.