GREENFIELD, IL — A 19-year veteran custodian at Greenfield Elementary School performed the Heimlich maneuver to save a second-grader who was choking after an object became lodged in his throat, according to The Telegraph
Gary Clevenger twice performed the Heimlich to dislodge a piece of foil that was stuck in Caleb Maro''s throat after the boy tried opening a juice carton with his teeth, the story stated.
Maro said: "I guess I bit off some of the foil and package and swallowed it, and it got stuck in my throat. I think [Gary Clevenger] is a hero, and I am very happy he was there."
A day after the episode that lasted a mere minute, Clevenger was awarded a certificate of appreciation for his actions before an assembly of students and staff, the story noted.
All school staff are trained in life-saving measures, including CPR and the Heimlich maneuver, every two years, the story added.
Clevenger said: "I was scared to death, and I didn''t want to hurt Caleb by doing the Heimlich maneuver. I told him I was new at this and had to do it twice, but it worked. I don''t think of myself as a hero; I am just glad I was there."