View Cart (0 items)

Fumes sicken several students and staff

April 10, 2009
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+
CARPENTERSVILLE, IL — Several students and staff at Golfview Elementary School were hospitalized yesterday after complaining of headaches and nausea caused by a strange odor, according to the St. Charles Sun.
Students were sent to the gymnasium while air quality tests were performed throughout the school, the story stated.
Joe Stevens, president of the School Board in District 300, said: "It smells like a lemony odor or like ant spray."
An odor was found in two classrooms and in the library, but air quality tests found nothing noteworthy, the story noted.
Officials believe the symptoms were caused by fumes left in the building from cleaning products used after contractors removed tile and asbestos from the building during spring break, the story added.
According to the story, the school remains closed today so it can be properly ventilated.
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.
You must login or register in order to post a comment.