WHISTLER, BC, Canada — Earlier this week, approximately 30 tourists in the ski resort town of Whistler were sickened by norovirus, a highly contagious gastrointestinal infection whose eradication requires extensive cleaning of surfaces, according to the United Press International.
The tourists were urged by the British Columbia Ministry of Health to remain in their hotel rooms until the symptoms — nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain — disappeared, the story stated.
Many of the sickened individuals spent the early part of the week ordering toast and ginger ale while they waited for the virus to pass, the story noted.
Norovirus, also called the Norwalk virus, is generally spread among groups of people and transmitted by fecally contaminated food or water and person-to-person contact, the story added.
According to the story, two weeks ago, another group of tourists in Whistler on the same itinerary were stricken with the virus.
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.