BOUND BROOK, NJ — A husband and his pregnant wife are suing their former landlords over complaints that mold issues in their rental property were improperly addressed, causing mold-related health ailments, according to The Star-Ledger.
Floyd and Tabatha McColley, who filed the complaint on July 27 with attorney John Charles Allen, allege that Sameen and Yameen Khan, the husband and wife who rented the house to them, failed to respond to complaints that there was "severe leaking" and "substantial growth of toxic mold" in the home, the story stated.
According to the story, the McColleys, who became ill after moving into the house in August 2008, have been much healthier since moving out this past May.
The landlords hired a contractor to remediate the mold after the McColleys moved out, but according to court documents, the contractor was not qualified to perform the work and actually made the problem worse, the story noted.
The lawsuit, which requests a trial by jury, is asking that the McColleys be awarded compensation for various damages to their health — including that of their unborn child — personal property and legal fees, the story added.
Floyd McColley said: "There''s a definite problem with the baby that will require ... immediate action after birth. We had high hopes of staying in this place only to find out we''d moved into a nightmare."
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.