CHICAGO — During spring and summer seasons, many facilities, especially schools and universities typically refinish their hard surface floors. For this type of floor care, many locations now use battery-powered floor machines because they offer greater flexibility and safety.
However, to maximize the machine’s performance, proper care of its battery is necessary.
For instance, "one of the worst things that can happen to a battery is for it to be discharged too far," says Daniel Frimml, a service technician with Tornado® Industries, a leading manufacturer of floor care equipment. "In response to this specific problem, one manufacturer now offers an electronic low-battery cut-out feature on its new machines."
The following are some basic, yet routine, battery maintenance tips Frimml suggests to keep floor machine batteries in tip-top condition:
- Check the water level regularly (if applicable).
- Check cables and connectors for cleanliness and make sure these parts are tight.
- Sealed batteries are commonly called maintenance-free batteries and, as the name implies, are maintenance-free. However, it is still advisable to check the connections and cables on a regular basis.
- Deep-cycle batteries (a more conventional lead-acid battery) will discharge if the unit has not been used for extended periods of time. To avoid this, charge these batteries periodically. This maintains battery life and ensures the floor machine is ready for use when needed.
- Keep all batteries and battery-operated equipment away from heat sources when stored. Heat can severely damage a battery.
- Remember to always wear safety glasses when servicing batteries.
"When it comes to batteries, especially deep-cycle batteries, the best advice is to keep them in top condition," adds Frimml. "This will save time and can be a major cost savings as well."
About Tornado, a Tacony Company
Tornado Industries has been designing and engineering quality cleaning equipment for more than 80 years. The company has a long history of developing innovative products and applying the latest technology to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve safety. Tornado prides itself on always being on the cutting edge of floor care cleaning solutions.