YORK, ME — York resident Joyce Forthman first noticed bite marks on her daughter''s arms several months ago, and then she saw tiny bugs hiding in her apartment, according to the York Daily Record.
But it wasn''t until the fire department declared her Beaver Street building unfit for human occupancy that she realized they were bedbugs, the article stated.
Forthman said she tried everything to get rid of the bugs, including bleaching her entire apartment.
According to the article, a statement appeared taped to the door of the three-story apartment building: "This dwelling contains a serious hazard to the health and safety of the occupants because of the infestation of bed bugs."
"It seems like it''s getting worse," Forthman said. "They''re so easy to spread, and you don''t know they''re there."
Only the most extreme cases of bedbugs result in a building being closed, but this isn''t the first time that''s happened, according to Captain Gil Kimes with the York City Fire/Rescue Services.
Click here to read the complete article.