NEW BERLIN, WI — It is important to clean, disinfect and completely dry areas in your flood-affected home to reduce the risk of mold spores that can cause health hazards or structural damage, according to a press release.
Mold is a necessary part of the environment; without it, leaves would not decay and aspects of soil enrichment could not happen, the release noted
However, nose and throat irritation, wheezing, cough, asthma and lower respiratory tract infection are just a few of the symptoms mold can cause, the release stated.
According to the release, there are simple ways to reduce mold: Check for mold in the bathroom, basement, laundry and other potential problem areas and take things outside that were wet for two or more days; they have mold growing on them, even if you can''t see it.
Use a 10 percent solution of no more than one cup bleach to one gallon water to disinfect hard surfaces such as floors, stoves, sinks, certain toys, countertops, flatware, plates or tools, the release added.
Click here to read the complete release.