Green Seal offers the following restroom cleaning tips to help ensure compliance with GS-42, the Environmental Standard for Green Cleaning Services:
- Perform restroom cleaning from high to low, toward the doorway, with dry cleaning tasks performed prior to wet cleaning operations.
- Daily clean and disinfect surfaces touched by hands, such as door knobs, light switches, handles, etc.; clean and disinfect more frequently as traffic requires.
- Control and remove standing moisture from floor and bathroom surfaces in a timely manner.
- Use restroom cleaning equipment specifically for restroom cleaning only. Restroom cleaning equipment, excluding power equipment, should not be used to clean any other areas of the building. Specific situations where it is more efficient and sanitary to clean otherwise are exempt, such as hospital patient rooms with restrooms.
- Replace bathroom trash liners daily at a minimum and disinfect the trash receptacle. Fill all drain traps on a regular basis.
- Perform disinfection in areas or on surfaces where pathogens can collect and breed, such as door handles and faucets. Use disinfectants only where required.
- Perform disinfection using only EPA-registered disinfectants or EPA-designated disinfection devices.
- When using chemical disinfectants or cleaner/disinfectants, follow product label directions for preparation of disinfecting solutions and the appropriate disinfecting and cleaning method for the area to be cleaned.
Protecting people and property
- Practice safe storage and use of restroom cleaning chemicals within the facility, including consideration of proper ventilation, dilution control procedures, adequate security, and proper management of the area.
- Protect vulnerable populations, such as children, asthmatics and pregnant women from restroom-related hazards — both chemical and microbial.
By following the recommendations listed in this article, cleaners can be sure that their services are both green and effective.
Cheryl Baldwin is director of standards for Green Seal, a nonprofit organization devoted to environmental standard setting, product certification and public education. For more information on the Environmental Standard for Cleaning Services, GS-42, and its components, visit www.greenseal.org
or call 202-872-6400.