View Cart (0 items)
Safety And Security

Chemicals spark high school fire

October 01, 2010
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+
LAFAYETTE, LA — About 2,300 Lafayette High School students evacuated their school Monday when a trashcan fire broke out in a hallway, according to The Advertiser.
The fire started accidentally when chemicals used in a science lab shifted while a custodian emptied trashcans, the article noted.
"We have video surveillance and there was no tampering. In fact, there were no students in the hallway," said Principal Pat Leonard.
The fire was extinguished by the school''s staff and a school resource officer: Students from every building were evacuated, and the fire department was called, the article stated.
According to the article, the incident kept students out of class for about an hour at the most, while some stayed out as little as 30 minutes.
Click here to read the complete article.
You must login or register in order to post a comment.