SANTA BARBARA, CA — As he left one of his daughter''s Washington Elementary School classrooms on Back to School night, Dr. David Shapiro noticed that something was wrong, according to the Daily Sound.
"I came out with a headache and feeling slightly nauseous," Shapiro said.
And he wasn''t the only one: All the parents felt sick after spending time in the classroom, which was a portable, the article noted.
The experience was so alarming that the group of parents have asked the school district to test several portable classrooms — to determine if the air is safe for the children to breathe, the article stated.
Shapiro and several of the other parents were familiar with symptoms attributed to poorly ventilated portable classrooms, studies of which have found high levels of toxins associated with mold and the materials with which the classrooms are built.
According to the article, Shapiro and other parents formed an Indoor Air Quality committee through Parents for Excellence in Public Schools to get to the truth about the air their children were breathing.
Their research uncovered a history of complaints and concerns about the Washington School portables —13 in all, plus a modular library — as well as a history of what they felt to be self-serving and unprofessional testing on the part of the district, the article added.
Click here to read the complete article.