Protecting the Power Source
Battery Maintenance for Cleaning Equipment
Chicago, IL - It''s not uncommon for office workers to complain that their computers just don''t seem to be running as fast as they once did.
For cleaning professionals, it''s not computers but battery-operated cleaning equipment such as floor machines that invariably seem to be slowing down.
According to Daniel Frimml, technical service reprsentative at Tornado Industries, a professional cleaning equipment manufacturer, the likely cause of the equipment slowdown is the battery itself.
"To get the maximum life out of the battery, it must be maintained," he says. "Many cleaning professionals are unaware of just how important this is."
For instance, a common problem Frimml encounters is users who have let the battery discharge too far.
"This can shorten the life of the battery and it is so critical to avoid this, some manufacturers now have an electronic ''low battery cut-off system'' that prevents this from happening," he says.
Frimml also suggests the following to keep batteries powered up:
• Check water levels (if applicable).
• Make sure cables and connections are clean and tight.
• Maintenance-free batteries (aka sealed batteries) do not require specific maintenance; however, their cables and connections still must be maintained.
• Deep-cycle batteries, similar to those in automobiles and some larger cleaning equipment, should not be left in a unit for long periods of time without recharging occasionally. All batteries will self-discharge over time; however, this may impact deep-cycle batteries more than others.
• Always keep batteries away from heat sources. High heat kills batteries.
• Never allow batteries to freeze
• When servicing a battery, always wear safety glasses.
"When it comes to battery maintenance, the bottom line is that with proper maintenance, the battery can serve users for years to come," adds Frimml. "[And] this can be a big cost savings in the long run."
About Tornado a Tacony Company
Tornado Industries has been designing and engineering quality cleaning equipment for more than 80 years. The company has a long history of developing innovative products and applying the latest technology to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve safety. Tornado prides itself on always being on the cutting edge of floor care cleaning solutions.