Winter Mat Care Tips
Fremont, OH - Feb 22, 2011 - With the adverse weather afflicting so many parts
of the country, building managers turn to matting systems to help ensure occupant
safety and keep snow, soil, moisture, and other contaminants from entering their
However, in order to work effectively, matting systems must be cleaned and maintained.
Christopher Tricozzi, vice president of sales and marketing for Crown Mats and
Matting, offers the following "winter weather" matting care tips for this time of year
and throughout the year:
* Make sure 15 feet of matting has been installed. This ensures there is enough
matting to remove maximum soil.
* Establish a set, but flexible, mat vacuuming and cleaning schedule with more frequent
cleanings performed during adverse weather conditions.
* Vacuum mats with four to eight passes so all soils have been removed.
* Check and remove spots as soon as they are noticed; also, look for and remove
gum, tar, oil, etc.
* Mats should be cleaned using the extraction method. Many matting systems have
bi-level construction to trap and hold contaminants. An extractor will have the
power to remove deeply embedded soiling.
* When extracting, use slow, deliberate strokes and vary the direction of the strokes.
This improves agitation and makes sure all areas of the mat are thoroughly cleaned.
To expedite drying time, use high velocity air movers. Avoid installing the mats
until thoroughly dry.
"Although it does not specifically address cleaning and maintenance, the type
of matting selected also makes a big difference during tough weather conditions,"
says Tricozzi. "Higher quality mats, those that are typically selected through
a distributor, invariably perform better and are easier to clean and maintain."
About Crown Mats and Matting
For more than 60 years, Crown Mats and Matting has been a pioneer in the development
and manufacture of matting products. Beginning with the invention of walk-off
matting by the company''s founder, R.P. Johnson, the company now has the most diverse
matting product line offered in our industry. Crown sells matting through an
extensive network of highly trained sales representatives throughout the United
States and worldwide. These sales experts are familiar with the features and benefits
of all matting systems and are able to help their clients find the right system
for virtually any application.