Hill & Markes Inc New Warehouse Move
On Monday, March 14, 2011, Hill & Markes Inc, wholesale distributors will be officially working out of their new warehouse at 1975 ST Hwy 5S, Amsterdam, New York. The warehouse is the size of 3 football fields and is 40 feet high. The whole building is triple in size from the existing facility with triple the docks for shipping and deliveries. The move to this brand new facility has been planned and anticipated for seven years. It was a plan for a major expansion and took a major plan. This warehouse will create efficiencies in warehousing and deliveries that will enhance the service provided Hill & Markes customers. It will be the first time in many, many years the company will be working out of a single warehouse.
Hill & Markes was established in 1906 and currently services the state of New York and Vermont with its own vehicles. 50 plus salespeople cover this geography providing solutions and education to our customers.
The office portion of this new state of the art building will be completed in May. The complete operation will be housed at the location at that time. This portion will not only house offices, a high tech training room for customers as well as training rooms for staff will be an important addition to the facility.
“As a family owned business, it is gratifying to see the growth that has taken place in the past few years,” stated Andrea Packer, family member and VP of Marketing. The company is now a third generation business. In 1947 Harry and Harriet Finkle purchased Hill & Markes from Mr. Charlie Markes and Mr. Amos Hill. In the 1970’s Neal Packer, Andrea Finkle Packer and Jeffrey Finkle entered as the second generation. Jason Packer has just joined the business as a member of the next generation.
With divisional managers for: food service, industrial packaging, janitorial, and office supplies, the company can be a one stop shop providing product knowledge and expertise.
Malone & Tate Builders Inc. of Albany has worked on the design and general construction. Rovetto Design Group of Ballston Spa created the interior space. SRG Architects, Stracher, Roth and Gilmore of Schenectady designed the structure.