DURANGO, CO — Durango High School was still closed on Wednesday after a student prank resulted in poor air quality, according to The Durango Herald.
After bales of hay were found spread throughout common areas of the school, air quality tests were taken that showed those areas had mold spore counts four times higher than recommended levels, the article stated.
According to the article, cleaning crews have brought in air scrubbers, replaced air filters, wiped down walls and scrubbed the floors of the building in order to reduce mold levels in the school.
"We need to do more testing to verify that the elevated readings are brought back down," said Superintendent Keith Owen.
"The safety of our students and staff is our highest priority," Owen added.
At least eight employees have sought medical attention after helping with the initial cleanup, the article noted.
Click here to read the complete article.