Watch Your Step
Fremont, OH – Restrooms and bathrooms are among the most dangerous places in a home or facility when it comes to slips, falls, and injuries, according to a June 2011 analysis in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The report indicates that more than 235,000 people over the age of 15 visit an emergency room each year because of injuries suffered in a restroom or bathroom. Of these, approximately 14 percent require hospitalization.
Some of the findings of the study include:
· Restroom/bathroom injuries increase with age, especially after the age of 65.
· Injuries in tub and shower areas are most common among those aged 15 to 24.
· More women than men are injured in restroom/bathroom areas; in some cases the rate is as much as 72 percent higher.
· The activity that most often leads to an injury is bathing, which is followed by slipping on a floor.
· The areas of the body most often impacted by a restroom/bathroom injury are the head (31 percent), lower torso (20 percent), upper torso (18 percent), legs and feet (17 percent), and arms and hands (13 percent).
According to Christopher Tricozzi, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Crown Mats and Matting, the cleaning industry can do much to help prevent these accidents, especially in facilities such as gyms, shower areas, and locker rooms.
“Installing what are called ‘barefoot matting systems’ can increase safety and prevent injuries significantly,” he says. “They should also be placed around ‘wet areas’ such as swimming pool and Jacuzzis.”
Tricozzi explains that this type of matting ash open-grid construction, allowing water and moisture to flow underneath the mat while keeping the surface dry and safe.
“And more advanced barefoot matting systems not only promote safety [they also] may include antibacterial and antifungal additives to promote foot hygiene as well.”
About Crown Mats and Matting
For more than 60 years, Crown Mats and Matting has been a pioneer in the development and manufacture of matting products. Beginning with the invention of walk-off matting by the company''s founder, R.P. Johnson, the company now has the most diverse matting product line offered in our industry. Crown sells matting through an extensive network of highly trained sales representatives throughout the United States and worldwide. These sales experts are familiar with the features and benefits of all matting systems and are able to help their clients find the right system for virtually any application.