OTTAWA — A stomach bug outbreak among a girls'' soccer team offers a good lesson in why it''s never a good idea to store anything in a washroom that might later come into contact with food, according to CTV News.
A report in the Journal of Infectious Diseases details how Oregon public health investigators traced a norovirus outbreak to a reusable grocery bag that was stored in a hotel room bathroom, the article stated.
According to the article, investigators couldn’t figure out how seven members of a girls'' soccer team got sick two days after one member of the team fell ill.
The first infected girl never rejoined the group or took part in any meals with them, the article noted.
Upon further investigation, it was revealed that a reusable grocery bag was in the bathroom with the sick girl, and the remaining team members ate food that had been stored in the bag, the article added.
The discovery highlights why it''s important to fully disinfect areas where "aerosol exposures" may have occurred, the article concluded.
Click here to read the complete article.